NBI Clearance/Police Clearance
When do I need to get an NBI Clearance/Police Clearance Certificate in Canada?
If you lived in the Philippines for at least six (6) months and intends to submit an immigration application in Canada, you likely need to submit an NBI Clearance certificate.
You have been inspired by the recent success of the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Finals and finally decided that you wanted to visit or live in the beautiful country of Canada. Whatever the purpose is – whether you’re coming to Canada as a tourist, student, caregiver, or skilled worker, most probably you will be asked to get a police certificate / National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance (for our fellow Filipinos) to ensure that you do not have any criminal record and that you only want to feel and experience the cool vibe and diversity in the maple-leaf nation.
If you are really determined to stay and become a permanent resident of Canada, you and your immediate family (your spouse and child/children 18 years old and above) will also need a police certificate / NBI clearance as part of your permanent residence application requirements – (a) an NBI Clearance Certificate on green paper prior to January 2018, or (b) Multi-Purpose Clearance Certificate using blue paper since October 2017.
How to get a Police Certificate / NBI Clearance?
In the Philippines:
If you are in the Philippines, you can either apply online
https://www.nbiclearance.org/how-to-apply-nbi-clearance-online/) or personally visit any NBI office (see the National Bureau of Investigation list of offices: https://www.nbiclearance.org/category/nbi-clearance/nbi-clearance-branch/).
Take note though that If you decide on applying online, you must still proceed to an NBI office and show your printed online registration code to the NBI Clearance Centre for processing. Your fingerprints and photo will also be taken once you go in person to the NBI office.
Upon application, the following documents need to be prepared and submitted:
- Completed NBI application form (if you submitted the application online, print it out and provide your registration code)
- Any two of the following valid original Identification Cards/documents:
- valid passport
- Driver’s license
- Voter’s ID
- PRC license
- SSS ID
- GSIS ID
- School ID
- Postal ID
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) ID
- Philhealth ID
- NSO Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Senior Citizen Card
- Previous Copy of NBI Clearance
- Payment for applicable fees (Check with the issuing authority for rates and payment instructions)
Keep in mind that you need to get your NBI Clearance certificate in person (or provide written authorization to your representative if you will be unable to get it).
Outside of the Philippines:
If you are outside of the Philippines and already living in a different country such as Canada, you can get a police certificate / NBI Clearance either by:
(1) applying in person at your nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate and mailing it to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Head office;
(2) requesting a relative or representative in the Philippines to apply on your behalf by providing a written authorization; or
(3) going to a legitimate office that processes police certificate / NBI Clearance such as JCA LAW OFFICE Professional Corporation (https://filipinolawyer.ca/nbi-clearance/).
Here’s a list of information and documents you will need:
- )NBI Clearance application form No. 5 with all your complete information (the form is available online or at the Philippine Consulate Toronto). You may need to indicate the reason why you need the NBI Clearance certificate (e.g. for Immigration / permanent residence).
- Completed fingerprint form (the form is available online or at the Philippine Consulate Toronto) and have your fingerprints taken by recognized law enforcement or police agency where you live. The authorized person taking your fingerprints must also sign the form.
- A 2×2 photo with white background taken during the last three months prior to your submission of NBI application form
- A photocopy of your valid passport (bio-page only)
- A photocopy of at least 2 of your Identification Cards
- Applicable fees ($ 36.25 CAD for NBI Clearance in Canada; kindly check with the issuing authority for rates and payment instructions)
Once all requirements are submitted, the NBI Clearance certificate will be mailed to your mailing address. Keep in mind though that if you need to expedite your clearance, you need to pay for extra fees for courier services. If you wanted to save on courier fees and have a stress-free NBI processing, JCA LAW OFFICE Professional Corporation can gladly do it on your behalf.
EMAIL us at email@example.com or call us at 1-855-522-5290 for further inquiries.
Getting a Police Certificate /Police clearance from other countries other than Philippines
If you are applying for permanent residence in Canada but worked in other countries other than the Philippines prior to migrating, chances are, you also need to get a police certificate/police clearance from that country. You don’t need to travel far and worry how you will be able to get it, JCA LAW OFFICE Professional Corporation also processes police certificate/police clearance in the countries listed below other than the Philippines:
- Hong Kong
- United Kingdom (UK)
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) (which includes Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, etc.)
EMAIL us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +1 (855)-522-5290 for further inquiries.